Monday 30 September 2013

Nash in Swanage

I have written previously of my liking for Paul Nash and especially the period when he based himself in and around the Purbecks when researching and writing the Shell Guide to Dorset (1936).

1935 Paul Nash - 2 The Parade, Swanage

Swanage and its antiquities appealed to Nash so much that he moved in to number 2 The Parade in February 1935 with its gorgeous views over Swanage Bay. It just so happened, on a recent field trip, that I found myself with a bag of chips looking out at the very same view across the bay. The blue plaque is the only clue as to who lived there.

I was fascinated to read recently that Nash stayed at Furzebrook House near Wareham for a while in 1937 - you can read the excellent article by Pennie Denton here who also wrote Seaside Surrealism: Paul Nash in Swanage (Peveril Press 2002).

2013 - 2 The Parade, Swanage
 
1935 Paul Nash - Swanage Steps
 
1937 Paul Nash - Blue Pool Cliff, Wareham

No comments: