Monday 2 June 2014

FBR's!

The first FBR's (French Breakfast Radish of course) of the new growing season. They tasted very nice indeed at supper time. I have them growing everywhere such is my radish obsession. I could have left these a little longer, but I don't like them too woody and love the leaves in a salad when they are young - leave too long and they get all prickly. I've got a succession sowing system in place so I can keep on harvesting.



Everything in the garden is coming along nicely now. It's going to be a bumper year for pickling, jamming and preserving here at Straker Towers I can tell you..........the word on the street is it's going to be a bumper berry year too which suits me fine!


The Three Chubs - DJ Watkins-Pitchford (BB 1945) 
I always think of "BB" and radishes. He loved them and was partial to them at breakfast with his ham and eggs. Actually, "BB" was very partial to all sorts of food in general! If you are lucky enough to have a copy of The Fisherman's Bedside Book (Eyre & Spotiswoode 1945) then please turn to his chapter - The Fisherman's Inn - I dream of finding a hostelry such as The Three Chubs......go on, read it now, you'll be glad you did! 

No comments: