Wednesday 20 August 2014

Market Finds No 12

I have been a tad slack on the market finds front. I did manage to sneak in a little foraging whilst up in North Norfolk and here is what I came across - all for the cost of a few pints of ale.



I didn't expect to find such a good copy of the Shell Guide to Dorset - some lovely Edwin Smith photography and a little bit of Nash. Shame it wasn't the super 1935 edition that Paul Nash put together, but I am sure that copy is lurking on a market stall somewhere! 

Fish, Fishing and Fishermen by William Caine (Philip Allan 1927) has to be one of the loveliest angling books written. It is such a good read. I already have a well read copy, so this will go in the pile for presents or swapsies. 

3 comments:

The Two Terriers said...


Hi Dickie, Sorry to wind you up but Kath, our daughter, has all the Nash Shell Guides. They were the subject of her MA dissertation at Reading. Got a distinction too the clever girl. Some she got at car boots… How it helped her to become a master of Wine I don't know! lovely covers. Time to walk the JRs now.

All the best, John

I didn't think Mr Layne would get past you. It always reminders me of preparing for my Finals in Newcastle, hot and sunny then too.

Dickie Straker said...

Wow! I am very envious - I did see a complete set for sale a year ago and it was for about a thousand £'s!! I'll keep scouring the market stalls! Liked the look of that chilli jam - mine are nearly ready and a jam or two is on the cards.
TTFN, Dickie

The Two Terriers said...


I'll try and get a picture to make the green-eyed monster even bigger! John